[OT] (was Re: Is there a partiton size limit?)

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Wed Mar 18 23:15:40 UTC 2009

Thorny wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 02:02:35 -0700, Ray Parrish wrote:
>

>> Thorny wrote:

>>> Don't know why you threaded this to me Ray, perhaps a mistake. I mostly
>>> use KMail but do know how to configure TBird. Actually, I read this list
>>> with Pan.
>>>
>>> Hope the poster you intended to inform will notice it here.
>>>

>> I wasn't actually responding to you, I was responding to the quoted person
>> in your last post that stated they were using Thunderbird, while you were
>> telling them that even if they used Thunderbird it was still protocol to
>> bottom post here.
>>
>> Later, Ray Parrish
>>

> My point was that you threaded your reply to my post rather than the
> poster you wanted to inform, but you wrote to him and your post appeared
> to be to me due to that sub-threading. Threading exists for a reason,
> whether it is a good reason or not is often a matter of personal opinion.
>
> Actually, I didn't tell him what the protocol was here, I just tried to
> answer his question about top posting. And, hopefully, not start that
> whole argument again here.
>
> Regards

And my point is that I responded in natural thread order, instead of
jumping back a message in the thread. Anyone following the thread will
already know that the reply was to the person who asked the question,
because they are presumably reading the thread in thread order. If I had
removed his question from my reply, then I could see your protest as
being valid but I did not.

Threading should start at the original question, and then progress
naturally down through all of the replies. That way anyone reading a
thread can tell what is going on. I have my email client set to show
only unread messages in a thread, so when I exit this group's folder,
then come back to it, all previous posts are invisible, so I don't
always have the option of easily jumping backwards in a thread, even if
I felt it were necessary.

If you insist on pressing this minor issue, then I can easily fix it, by
establishing a filter to sort your posts to the trash, and you will
never experience the "problem" again.

Later, Ray Parrish

--
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com