Restarting Xserver from cli

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Wed Mar 18 21:07:16 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 18 March 2009 20:49, NoOp wrote:
> On 03/17/2009 01:17 PM, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 14:49:32 -0300
> >
> > Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> >> I'm sure it is (as long as you are using gdm).  It may alteratively
> >> be kdm or xdm.
> >>
> >> But what's with "is being disabled in Jaunty"?  What an odd concept.
> >
> > From the release notes:
> > Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is now disabled, to reduce issues experienced by
> > users who accidentally trigger the key combo. Users who do want this
> > function can enable it in their xorg.conf, or via the command dontzap
> > --disable.
> >
> > and yes, we have lost the discussion about it. The decision was made
> > and finished before anyone not at UDS and in the correct group knew
> > about it.
>
> Interestingly enough, it seems all default references to 'Keyboard
> Shortcuts' have gone missing in Intrepid. All that
> System|Preferences|Keyboard Shortcuts shows (on mine anyway) is "<Uknown
> Action>", wereas in Hardy I have Ctrl-Alt-Delete as log out, etc (no
> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace though).

I've just tried Ctrl Alt Esc to get the mouse pointer of death on Intrepid,
and that shortcut is gone as well.

I'm using Linux because (using many different distro's) I have complete
control over the machine, yet on Ubuntu that complete control is being taken
away, by someone deciding that this and that can be removed, to in someway
making it more idiot proofed.

It sort of makes you wonder, when someone will decide to remove the CLI, then
idiots will no longer be able to mess with the filesystem.

2ยข worth of perhaps nothing.

Nigel.