Restarting Xserver from cli

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Wed Mar 18 20:25:08 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 21:48 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Unstable proprietary drivers is a known cause, and so are Google
> Earth, Compiz, and Stellarium.

What can I say. I have been cursed with ATi cards on the company laptop
for years, and I run Google Earth occasionally. Never caused my X to
freeze. I'm not saying it does not happen, but I'm just as unsure aobut
how often it does in reality as those of you are who demand proof that
newbies get caught out by C-A-B.

As far as Compiz goes, I have run that on my ATi cards, too, without
locking X. Maybe I am lucky. However, if Compiz locks X once a week for
a significant number of users, then it really has no business being
enabled by default in Ubuntu.

> Because those users call _me_ on the phone when this happens. Or they post here.

So, they enable it next time. What's the problem, their X is locked at
that point, anyway, and these users are not likely to run complex CLI
jobs that take days to complete, do they.

The same argument has been used by Bart against disabling C-A-B, by the
way: "so what if someone hits it by default, they just lost a few hours
of work at the worst".

I happen to think that having to reboot when X is locked anyway is worse
than losing unsaved user data due to a finger slip.

> I agree to this with a point. Windows did good with C-A-D. But I
> disagree that a finger slip will get you C-A-anything.

Again, C-A-B is like 0.5 cm away from C-A-D, less on a netbook.

> What is the
> poor noob to do when he accidentally hits C-A-F1?

1. at this point nothing is lost yet.

2. it's not a good argument to point out other flaws in order to make a
particular flaw look less bad. An argument could be made that
Canonical's desktop target users are not well-served by this either, and
it should be an option. So take care of what you saying here :p