Restarting Xserver from cli

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Wed Mar 18 20:13:30 UTC 2009

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 15:50 -0400, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>> What kind of idiot uses Linux to do that in the first place, given
>> that I don't think it is certified for use on lifesaving equipment
>> whatsoever?
>
> Having possibly deadly impact when malfunctioning does not necessarily
> have anything to do with being used on lifesaving equipment.
>
> It's not a desktop distro, but may serve as an example for the
> principle: TomTom car navigation GPS devices use the linux kernel. If it
> malfunctions, the effect can very easily be a deadly accident.

Yeah, some idiot was deemed competent to drive a ton-size chunk of metal
on the roads at high velocities with other people but doesn't know to
look around before turning into oncoming traffic. I don't see that as a
reason to disable control-alt-backspace as much as it is a reason to
disable their car.