Restarting Xserver from cli

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Wed Mar 18 12:22:25 UTC 2009

Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> David Curtis wrote:

>> To me, removing C-A-B to limit this issue, is a sound decision.
> I fully agree. It does not harm to anybody and potentially saves some
> people's lifes...

Huh? What X-Ray dosing system is running Linux?

Honestly...how does it save lives preventing X restarting? And what
idiot would be trusted using Linux, not knowing what CAB does at a
critical moment of someone's life connected to that computer?

Is this the culmination of cookie-cutter boiler-plate certification
degree programs pooing out Windows sysadmins that never edited the
system registry?

> However imho it is definitely false to ask a newbie not to think on his own.
>
> They will have to, if they want to master Linux.

Why would they if people insist on removing every potentially hazardous
thing in the name of making it impossible to use when things go wrong
aside from rebooting at the slightest hint of problems? I stopped using
Windows as my primary OS years ago because of that kind of issue.