Restarting Xserver from cli

David Curtis dcurtis at uniserve.com
Wed Mar 18 06:23:49 UTC 2009

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 07:50:12 +0200
Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Yes, I was just on IRC #ubuntu when someone ask how to restart alsa/pulseaudio. Some idiot responded 'hit ctrl-alt-bksp' and boom, newb at xxx.xxx.xx.xx. has quit (client terminated).
> >

> Really, what was his handle?

It was a her actually. I don't remember the nick off hand. Not to mention you would be able glean my nick out of any logs and I like being anonymous on IRC. :P

> > Laughable, yes. But if the questioner had lost data they would have been furious.
> >

> That is not laughable. Canonical is a business and IRC is an official
> support channel. That sounds serious.

Don't confuse Canonical Inc. or LLC. (or whatever) with the Ubuntu foundation. Canonical using IRC for official support _would_ absolutely be laughable, #ubuntu is populated by volunteers just like this list. And as far as IRC channels go it's just as insane as any other channel with 1300 to 1500 users at any single moment. Using public IRC channels to conduct business would just be stupid.

--
David Curtis <dcurtis at uniserve.com>