Restarting Xserver from cli

David Curtis dcurtis at uniserve.com
Wed Mar 18 06:00:56 UTC 2009

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 00:18:53 -0500
"Cybe R. Wizard" <cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Charlie Kravetz <cjk at teamcharliesangels.com>  said:
> > From the release notes:
> > Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is now disabled, to reduce issues experienced by
> > users who accidentally trigger the key combo. Users who do want this
> > function can enable it in their xorg.conf, or via the command dontzap
> > --disable.
> >
> > and yes, we have lost the discussion about it. The decision was made
> > and finished before anyone not at UDS and in the correct group knew
> > about it.
>
> Bending over too far backwards to accommodate Windows users, Ubuntu may
> have shot itself in the foot with that one.  I might have to consider
> going back to Debian unstable.
> Sheesh, if I'd wanted windows I'd have stayed with Windows.

Oh fer crying out loud, as it says above, 'dontzap --disable' or edit your xorg.conf. What are you doing that you need to restart GDM/xorg so many times you need a short cut key? What's wrong with 'sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart'?

As far as I'm concerned this is a 'have your cake and eat it too' scenario, protect the newbs, barely inconvenience the juniors, and not change much at all for the pros. Win, win, win.

--
David Curtis <dcurtis at uniserve.com>