Restarting Xserver from cli

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Tue Mar 17 20:17:06 UTC 2009

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 14:49:32 -0300
Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 16:23 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> >> How does one restart the Xserver from the cli? Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
> >> is being disabled in Jaunty and if I have to fix a machine that is
> >> not configured to enable it, I need to know what to do. I have
> >> googled and found how to do this in Redhat-based systems, but not
> >> in Debian based systems.
> >
> > Restarting gdm will do the trick, but I am not sure it is the
> > preferred method.
> >
> > sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
>
> I'm sure it is (as long as you are using gdm).  It may alteratively
> be kdm or xdm.
>
> But what's with "is being disabled in Jaunty"?  What an odd concept.

From the release notes:
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is now disabled, to reduce issues experienced by
users who accidentally trigger the key combo. Users who do want this
function can enable it in their xorg.conf, or via the command dontzap
--disable.

and yes, we have lost the discussion about it. The decision was made
and finished before anyone not at UDS and in the correct group knew
about it.

--
Charlie Kravetz