backup help

Josh Holland jrh at joshh.co.uk
Tue Mar 17 17:30:13 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 01:31:23AM +0600, Mahadi Hasan wrote:
> For backing up which method is better? tar utility or a gui
> application? If gui application, what is the name?
There are lots of utilities in the repos; just search 'backups' in
Synaptic/Adept/aptitude.

A proper application is probably better because it will do the backups
regularly without you worrying about them, it may perform integrity
checks and there is no risk of you making a mess of the tar switches.

Personally, I use backup-manager. There is no GUI (yet, see
http://joshh.co.uk/index.php/2009/03/16/i-feel-evil/ ), but as you
mention using tar on the command line, you are probably proficient
enough to edit a well-commented configuration file.

HTH,
Josh