x server crashing - sometimes

Stephen stephanos at writeme.com
Tue Mar 17 15:01:02 UTC 2009

Ray Parrish wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All
>>>
>>> Kubuntu 8.10
>>>
>>> I want to reduce the resolution as a way of improving the graphics and
>>> text size as these are to small.  I have seen these setting in two places:
>>> 1) K > System > System Settings > Display
>>> 2) K > System > KR and RTray Screen Resize & Rotate
>>>
>>> When I chose either of these, the server exits to a login screen and I
>>> have to login again.  Odd, as I have used these before.
>>> The most recent change I have made was in K > System > System Settings >
>>> Desktop -All Effects tab, where I unticked most of the 3D options and
>>> improved performance.
>>>
>>> I would also like to reduce colour depth.  When I last looked at the
>>> settings for changing the resolution I did not see anything about
>>> reducing the colour depth.  I have looked around System Settings.
>>>
>>> Any help appreciated
>>>
>>> Stephen
>>>

>> Dear All
>>
>> This issue has proved problematic to resolve.  I have tried some
>> suggestions about editing /etc/X11/Xorg.conf, but what doesn't crash X
>> at start up makes no difference to the display.
>>
>> I still have the problems of
>> 1) most of the time I cannot access Display or KR and RTray Screen
>> Resize & Rotate.
>> 2) When I maximise a window it is too wide for the screen and goes off
>> the right edge so losing the X out icon and other bits
>> 3) Windows render slowly
>> 4) I cannot control the resolution enough to have text on screen of a
>> size that I can read - it is all too small
>> 5) When I had a 17inch screen I used a res on 1024 X 768, now I have a
>> wide screen 17inch (16/9 ratio), I think I want a res of 1280 X 768.
>> But I cannot access the display options to change it.
>>
>> I have looked in the BIOS and up to 8MB of memory is allocated to the
>> onboard graphics.  The pc has 1GB of RAM.  If I installed a PCI graphics
>> card I would not have to make a change in the BIOS as it is already
>> configured to select a user installed graphics card if one is installed.
>> One of the editions of Linux Format had an article that mentioned
>> onboard/Intel graphics are problematic.  Now I am fed up with the problem.
>>
>> I want to explore installing a graphics card.  Has any one any
>> recommendations that will allow me to overcome these problems and not
>> have to be fiddled with.
>>
>> I appear to have two PCI slots and a very short slot above that - not
>> sure what it is.
>>
>> Any recommendations welcomed.
>>
>> Stephen
>>
> Hello,
>
> Since you have 1 GB RAM, you have plenty to spare that can be assigned
> to your on board video card's use. You state that the BIOS shows 8 MB's
> currently assigned to the video card.  This is way too low, and you
> should be able to change that setting  right there where it's displayed
> [...]
Dear Ray

Thanks for the responses.  I tried the BIOS to adjust the video memory
and it only allows selection between 1MB and 8MB.  Nice idea but thwarted.

xvidtune was revealing.  I started it as root as I assumed it had to
write to Xorg.conf, and it showed that my res is 1440 X 900.  I could
indeed use the Left/Right, Wider/Narrower, up/down, shorter/taller
buttons.  No sliders I am sorry to say.

However, when I adjusted using Narrower/Shorter and then pressed Test I
got an error message that "Sorry you have requested a Mode-Line that is
not possible, or not supported by your hardware or configuration"

Not sure if this is user error.  Should I have logged out of the GUI (if
so not sure how to do that)?

Should I have used Wider/Taller?

Dell have replied to my  enquiry and confirmed that  can only use PCI
(not PCI express) graphics cards.  Any recommendations if I am not able
to increase onboard video memory

Hope to hear from you

Stephen