killing a process (again), ports

Steve Flynn anothermindbomb at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 23:41:04 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 11:18 PM, Thufir <hawat.thufir at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 21:04:43 +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:
>
>> Thufir wrote:
>>> thufir at arrakis:~$ sudo kill 5088 -9
>>> kill: No such process
>>
>> There is no process -9. I suppose you meant:
>>
>> sudo kill -9 5088
>>

>> Nils
>

> Are you sure it matters?
>
> thufir at arrakis:~$
> thufir at arrakis:~$ ps -ae | grep fire
>  5461 ?        00:00:04 firefox
> thufir at arrakis:~$
> thufir at arrakis:~$ kill 5461 -9
> bash: kill: (-9) - No such process
> thufir at arrakis:~$
> thufir at arrakis:~$ ps -ae | grep fire
> thufir at arrakis:~$
>

> Generally, I think you can put the switches before or after the argument
> (if I'm using the correct terminology).  At least, I generally find that
> I can move them around.

 kill [ -signal | -s signal ] pid ...

 The  default  signal  for  kill is TERM. Use -l or -L to list
available signals.  Particularly useful signals include HUP, INT,
KILL, STOP, CONT, and 0.  Alternate signals may be specified in three
ways: -9
       -SIGKILL -KILL.  Negative PID values may be used to choose
whole process groups; see the PGID column in ps command output. A PID
of -1 is special; it indicates all processes except the kill  process
itself
       and init.

As you specified a -9 value, the assumption on this list would
generally be that you want to send a -9 (kill) signal to process 5088.
What you are actually doing with you command is sending a SIGTERM
signal to processes 5088 and -9.... which we would presume is not what
you intended.

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0