intel 64 bit version

Jim Douglas jdz99 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 16 01:17:09 UTC 2009

I reinstalled the 64bit AMD version or VirtualBox.

Is this a VirtualBox setting or a Windows Vista setting?

Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 13:40:30 -0600
Subject: Re: intel 64 bit version
From: vpadro at gmail.com
To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 12:35 PM, David Fox <dfox94085 at gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 11:15 AM, Jim Douglas <jdz99 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have this processor,

> http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLB5M

> Running 64bit Vista.  When I go to install with VirtulBox it says,

More recent versions of VirtualBox will support amd64 cpus in

virtualization mode. In order to do that, you also have to enable the

appropriate settings on the virtualbox image control panel.

AFAICT, VirtualBox  should be at least version 2.0.6 (2.1.4 is in jaunty).

My main desktop box is a core2quad Q6600 machine, and it does

virtualization support (vmx in /proc/cpuinfo) so your hardware should

be able to do the necessary virtualization stuff.

--

thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk.

ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com

This is an ubuntu mailing list, not a microsoft list.

neither way here are some tips...

Intel Core 2 Quad 8200 does not support virtualization extensions see here:
http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/chart/core2quad.htm

you should download and use virtualbox for windows x64 version, you can find it here:
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/2.1.4/VirtualBox-2.1.4-42893-Win_amd64.msi

another alternative is VMWare Server, which runs on i386 and x64 hosts(linux, windows) you can find it here:
http://www.vmware.com/download/server/

that's much pretty it for free virtualization software which can be run from windows.

running virtualization software from Linux there are little more alternatives:

Xen
OpenVZ
Virtualbox
VMWare Server
KVM

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"