Write to file forbidden

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Sun Mar 15 14:26:11 UTC 2009

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 00:47:11 +1100
GaryT <taig at melbpc.org.au> wrote:

> To obtain a recursive listing of all files, I'll use the command
> 	ls -s -S -R
> from the root directory.
>
> BUT
> When attempting to capture that list by saving it to a text file, I
> get "permission denied"
> 	e.g.	ls -s -S -R >files.txt
>
> adding sudo makes no difference
> using gksudo also makes no difference.
>
> please, how does one overcome the problem?
> TIA
> Gary T

If you are running this in "/", you do not have write permission to
create 'files.txt'. Try using
     sudo ls -s -S -R >/home/your-user-name/files.txt
replacing your-user-name with the correct name. This will allow a full
listing to be generated and the report written to your home directory.

Good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz