Half OT/ How to remove a virus on windows using Ubuntu

Ashley Benton chuaukantli at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 17:26:00 UTC 2009

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Eberhard Roloff <tuxebi at gmx.de> wrote:

> Ashley Benton wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Eberhard Roloff <tuxebi at gmx.de
> > <mailto:tuxebi at gmx.de>> wrote:
> >
> >     Ashley Benton wrote:
> >      > Hi, I am using Ubuntu 8.10. One of my neighbors ask me to fix his
> >      > computer and I am stuck. The computer is Windows 2000 and doesn't
> >     work
> >      > at all by itself
> >
> >     This one puzzles me. A virus/Trojan/you name it infection nearly
> never
> >     renders a windows computer to "doesn't work at all". Are you sure,
> virus
> >     related issues are the only problem that you  are having here?
> >

> > It seems so about 5 trojan and 2 adware generic, Anyway all the CPU is
> > used and the computer completely unresponsive. I tried the live cd and
> > it also became unresponsive. So I just mounted the hard drive on my
> > computer, no more problem.
> >

> >     so I mounted his hard drive on my computer. From Ubuntu
> >      > I tried a few anti virus programs but the only things they do is
> find
> >      > the viruses . Since I don't know Windows I don't want just to
> >     delete the
> >      > files or system. Is there a program that I can use from Ubuntu to
> fix
> >      > his Windows and get rid of the viruses?
> >     Every virus scanner that I know of, both Linux and Windows, offers
> three
> >     options on how to handle a virus that has been detected.
> >     1. Just warn
> >     2. delete the affected file(s)
> >     3. move those files to a save place
> >
> >     Use option 3.
> >

> > I have no option, it just tell me which files are infected with what and
> > where. I tried clamav, and avg. I also tried avast but it only crashed.
> >
> I am sorry, my statement was wrong. Indeed I know positively, you can
> set those options with fprot.

No problem I will look for fprot and try again from Ubuntu as soon as I will
have make an image of the hard drive to make sure that I don't make anything
worse (If it can be).

> in contrast, I just tested with avg and could not find any options to
> handle the virus except announcing, what is infected and deleting any
> virus found, possibly after pausing for user input.

On my computer it doesn't wait for any input just let me know that I have
files infected and which ones. With AVG 7 (viruses/adware generic )and with
clamav 10, so I guess no matter what I do the computer won't be completely
clean. So I want to try to reinstall from the i386 as I am hoping for a
change of free virus reinstallation, or at least less viruses than by only
scanning and fixing if possible.

Thanks

Meg