Help on not being able to deliver mail... ???

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Sat Mar 14 14:26:10 UTC 2009

Ray Parrish wrote:

> Here is the error message from one of the bounce messages.
>
>> This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:
>>
>> Other or undefined network or routing status
>>
>> Please reply to Postmaster at charter.net
>> if you feel this message to be in error
> Every email I send to her results in one of these error messages. I
> guess it's not real iimportant since she always gets the mail, but it's
> annoying to keep getting the bounce messages.

Sorry, that one doesn't mean a thing to me.  Do the message headers in the
bounce give a clue what mail program was used?

"Other or undefined network or routing status" is a 440 or 540 return
status, and since she gets the message, presumably 440 (transient, rather
than permanent), but you'd probably need to know what software they're
using at the other end to have a real clue what it is.

If there's anything in the message or headers that tells you it is actually
a transient error, I'd tend to write a filter to delete it unseen and
forget about it.
--
derek