3rd Generation iPod Nano write support?

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Sat Mar 14 14:06:37 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Bill Moseley wrote:
>
>> My son purchased the bulk of his music using iTunes on an old PowerPC
>> iBook (which is now dead with a hardware failure) so of course, the
>> bulk of the music can't be played via Rhythmbox due to the DRM issues.
>
> While, of course, I would never suggest you circumvent DRM, I find the
> concept that "of course" Rhythmbox can't play it because of DRM issues
> surprising.  I would strongly suspect that it _can_ (I don't do iPods,
> iTunes or Rhythmbox).

As I recall, the music industry recently had some concessions from Apple
  in return for allowing Apple to release songs without DRM. There were
supposed to be changes in iTunes that allowed the new DRM-free songs to
be automatically converted for end users.

I haven't looked into it too much because I haven't run into too many
problems (and Apple traditionally made...allowances...to accidentally
bypass DRM for people willing to invest a little extra time with their
burners...).

Then again I use my iPod for apps and podcasts more than music...