Problems with Updates

Ferdinand Lehnard ferdinand_lehnard at bigpond.com
Wed Mar 11 03:17:18 UTC 2009

Tried to update my system but I just couldn't succeed. I am new in the
Ubuntu community and started some months ago. Everything was fine till
now.
I changed the Software Sources, running apt-get and aptitude with -f and
-u --fix-missing, tried the Synaptic Package Manager - no success.
Always it failed to fetch some archives. What has to be done to make the
system going?

user:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade -u --fix-missing
[sudo] password for user:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  linux-generic linux-image-generic linux-restricted-modules-generic
  openoffice.org-base-core openoffice.org-calc openoffice.org-common
  openoffice.org-core openoffice.org-draw openoffice.org-gnome
  openoffice.org-gtk openoffice.org-help-en-gb openoffice.org-help-en-us
  openoffice.org-impress openoffice.org-l10n-en-gb
openoffice.org-l10n-en-za
  openoffice.org-style-human openoffice.org-writer python-uno
15 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
Need to get 34.3MB/70.3MB of archives.
After this operation, 659kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/main
openoffice.org-core 1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2.1 [26.8MB]
Get:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/main
openoffice.org-help-en-us 1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2.1 [7561kB]
Fetched 34.3MB in 3min45s
(152kB/s)
Failed to fetch
http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/o/openoffice.org/openoffice.org-core_2.4.1-1ubuntu2.1_i386.deb  Hash Sum mismatch