Adding apps to startup could be made easier

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Fri Mar 13 08:48:04 UTC 2009

NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 03/12/2009 07:01 PM, Florian Diesch wrote:
>> "David M. Karr" <davidmichaelkarr at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I discover an application I want to install, so I go to "Add/Remove",
>>> find it, then install it.
>>>
>>> I can now see it in the "Applications" menu, although it just shows me
>>> the "displayable" name of the application, not the full path to the
>>> application.
>>>
>>> Now, one of the installed applications needs to go into my session
>>> startup.  The dialog to add a startup application doesn't allow me to
>>> browse through the installed applications, all I can do is enter a full
>>> path to an executable.
>>
>> You can drag&drop an item from the start menu into the list of start programs.
>
> Can you explain how? For instance whenever I turn on my system in the
> morning I always open Nautilus & 2 other apps; I open
> System|Preferences|Sessions|Startup Programs, I then open
> Applications|Accessories & try to drag & drop 'File Browser' to the
> 'Startup Programs' and it doesn't work (both on Hardy and Intrepid).

That's how it works here (Intrepid) - at least I get an entry in the
list, I didn't check if it really gets started.

Note that I don't use the "Add" button but just drop the app into the
list.

What exactly doesn't work for you: Can't you drag the app out of the
menu (the icon is used as mouse cursor as you are dragging) or can't
you drop the app into the list?

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>