Ubuntu 8.10 server doesn't boot into GDM / X yet startsmanually fine. Services GUI shows all unchecked.

Daevid Vincent daevid at daevid.com
Fri Mar 13 05:24:31 UTC 2009

So, I looked at that "System->Administration->Services" and everything is unchecked! But clearly that is misleading because I absolutely know things like "postfix", "dovecot", "mysql", "apache", "crond" etc are all running just fine.

I also tried to view the "services" gui using both my user account and logged in as root -- as expected both showed unchecked as well.

I then compared this server to my notebook and that does in fact show things properly checked.

How did this get out of whack/sync and how can I get them to jive again??!

Although, I'd be very surprised if this is actually the problem, as I mentioned, the services are in fact running, this seems more cosmetic. Still annoying though.