backlight issue with laptop and 8.10

Larissa Ardis larissa.ardis at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 03:55:23 UTC 2009

Hi folks...

Backatcha with this backlight problem on my laptop. The backlight
appears to dim significantly with fluctuating ambient light, which I
*don't* want it to do.

David Curtis, thanks so much for the tip! I executed that sudo command
in a terminal window, and this is what appeared (between stars):
****
larissa at ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install smartdimmer
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
smartdimmer is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 104 not upgraded.
****
So... does this mean I already have the component that you were
suggesting? How do I find/operate smartdimmer?

Lucio Nicolosi, thanks for your suggestion to use that Brightness
applet... actually, I've already done that, and it doesn't appear to
affect the dimming problem.

In case this is useful additional information, my laptop has this
light-sensor thing that I can control via a Fn/F5 or Fn/F6 key
combination in Windows... but I can't figure out any way to do this in
Ubuntu.

My laptop is a Seanix Z7100 with Nvidia GeForce 6600 Go graphics.

Larissa

Message: 1