How to generate printer ppd for cups?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 12 22:39:30 UTC 2009

On 03/11/2009 04:02 PM, Josef Wolf wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to know how the cups-gutenprint drivers are created.  When I
> install a printer with system-config-printer.py, I get a ppd which
> seems to be auto-generated.  At least, I can't find any file in
> /usr/share/ppd with the same NickName as the file that gets installed
> into /etc/cups/ppds.  For example, I'd like to install this driver:
>
>   "HP LaserJet 4 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.0-rc1"
>
> Since I have to configure lots of boxes, running system-config-printer.py
> interactively on every box is no option for me.  Ideally, I'd
> run a script, that takes the required information on the command line
> instead of letting me enter interactively into the GUI.
>
> On other distros, I can install some package that contain the desired
> PPDs, so I can simply give the desired ppd as command line argument
> to lpadmin.  Am I really forced to use this GUI crap in ubuntu?

These may help:

http://gutenprint.sourceforge.net/developer-html/book1.html
  http://gutenprint.sourceforge.net/developer-html/c200.html

and if you look at the supplied files:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/cupsys-driver-gutenprint
  <http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/i386/cupsys-driver-gutenprint/filelist>
You'll see cups-genppd. I _think_ that these are what you are looking for.

$ man cups-genppd
$ cups-genppdconfig
$ cups-genppdupdate

provides info on how you can manually generate the ppd files.
Also checkout the faq:
file:///usr/share/doc/cupsys-driver-gutenprint/FAQ.html

Regarding /etc/cups/ppd; if you've installed a printer and selected the
gutenprint driver, a file for that printer will be created in
/etc/cups/ppd. An easy way to tell which is which, is by naming the
printer accordingly when you install it from the GUI, example:
HPLG4Gutenprint. Once you've done that, you'll see it named in the
/etc/cups/ppd folder as 'HPLG4Gutenprint'. You can then copy, modify,
push that file to your other systems.