OT: C++ Question, solved

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 21:34:34 UTC 2009

H.S. wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> karl at cheap-laptop:~/cplus$ g++ ex75.c
>> ex75.c: In function ‘int main()’:
>> ex75.c:24: error: no match for ‘operator<<’ in ‘std::cin << feet’
>> karl at cheap-laptop:~/cplus$
>>

>> As you can see the little c++ example from the book does not compile. I
>> added the (line 24) so you readers can see what line the g++ compiler
>> see's an error. I simply can't see the error and so need some help.
>>
>> Your welcome to try it on your Linux and I hope you do.
>>

> statement should be:
> cn >> feet ...
>
> Moreover, your example you gave about does not compile anyway. I get:
> $> g++ -Wall foo.c -o foo
> foo.c: In function ‘int main()’:
> foo.c:19: error: ‘line’ was not declared in this scope
> foo.c:19: error: expected `)' before numeric constant
>

> Fix that. Try again.
>
> Advice: use the usual c++ source code file extensions for c++ source
> code (cc, cpp, c++, etc.).

    Hi and thanks for your work. I will use .cc from now on, if the joe
editor will do color with that. The color helps me.

    I fixed the source code by erasing the entire line:
   cin>>feet>>inches;
and then retyping it in.

    I find c++ a whole lot more unforgiving of typing gliches. I need to
believe what g++ gives as an error and just retype it right away.

Thank you

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI