Amazon S3 file system?

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Thu Mar 12 15:23:31 UTC 2009

Denis Haskin wrote:
> There seem to be a plethora (well, at least a few) implementations of a
> file system backed by Amazon S3 (s3fs, s3fs-fuse, etc).  Recommendations
> pro/con?
>
> In particular, I was hoping to find one that *didn't* store the file
> system monolithically on S3, but the individual files, so they were
> still easily accessible from outside the filesystem.  Or maybe that's
> impossible, and I should be looking at mounting the S3 bucket via WebDAV?

There are some filesystems like
http://code.google.com/p/s3fs/wiki/FuseOverAmazon that do this, but
they're obviously arbitrarily limited.  S3 has a maximize object size of
5 GB, so this approach means you won't be storing any dual-layer DVD
images.  Further, where are you going to store directory metadata?  It
seems like a waste to create a object for each directory.

Matt Flaschen