WiFi problems...

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 12 03:56:19 UTC 2009

--- On Wed, 3/11/09, Roy Smith <rasmith1959 at gmail.com> wrote:
From: Roy Smith <rasmith1959 at gmail.com>
Subject: WiFi problems...
To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Date: Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 9:32 PM

> Hi!  I'm new to Ubuntu and I'm having
> problems with my WiFi adapter.
> It's a Belkin F5D7050 Wireless G USB adapter.  The problem is that it
> works for just a few minutes, then
> quits.  At that point I either have
> to reboot, or unplug the adapter and
> plug it back in again to get it
> to work for a few more minutes.  Gets
> frustrating when that happens.
> Any suggestions on what I need to do to > get this thing working
> reliably?  Please keep in mind that
> you're dealing with a complete
> newbie to Linux, but I have lots of
> experience with Windows...

I suppose you are using "network manager" in gnome or manually setting up with /etc/network/interfaces for you wifi.  Most people have better luck, IMO, using wicd for wifi setup and is what I use now.
Suggest you give it a try.  It will remove network magager and maybe some more programs when you install wicd.
To install it you need:

http://apt.wicd.net intrepid/extras Packages (all one line)

In you sources.list as it's not in the regular repos.  Install if from synaptic or other gui or from the CLI with:

sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude install wicd.

Let the list know if you have any problems installing or setting up wicd. BTW, before we start seeing a bunch of rebuttals about wicd, it is not entirely trouble free but for me and many others, it just works and is much more stable than network manager.

Leonard Chatagnier

lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net