Is it possible to install the sun-java6-plugin from jaunty in intrepid?

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Wed Mar 11 15:23:59 UTC 2009

Charlie Kravetz wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 14:18:43 +0000
> Chris G <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
>
>> I have a need for the 'real' Sun Java6 plugin for my Firefox on
>> Intrepid (xubuntu 8.10).  It's not yet available for Intrepid but
>> there is a Jaunty (9.04) version.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me if I can get the Jaunty version installed in
>> Intrepid, or can I do a manual install of the Sun JRE in Intrepid and
>> get what I want?
>>

> Isn't 'sun-java6-plugin' the real one? It is available in
> synaptic-package-manager in multiverse and needs sun-java6-jre.

(and sun-java6-bin)

If this is the same problem I recall from a day or two ago, he has forgotten
to mention that it's a 64-bit system, which may make a difference.

That said, the worst that can happen if you install the Jaunty version is
that it won't work.  Give it a shot, you can always uninstall it.
--
derek