Plasma starting crashing on launch

pkaplan1 at comcast.net pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 11 09:35:42 UTC 2009

In the last 24 hours something happened to my 8.10 system running kde 4.2.1.
Whenever I login I get an error that plasma has crashed. All I see is a blank desktop. I can run apps from krunner, but no panels, cashews, plasmoids or right-clicking.

Backtrace shows nothing. Replacing ~/.kde doesn't help. Logging in as a different user doesn't help

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it due to a rogue package upgrade?

Any thoughts on fixing other than reinstalling 8.10?

TIA
Paul