Crashable screen saver

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 08:10:30 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri at arinet.org> wrote:
> I have similar experience.
> Well, the screensaver doesn't immediately crash my 8.10, but after running
> overnight ( I fell asleep ), in the morning when I try to use my desktop

I can't nail this down to a screensaver, but it might be an
opengl+video driver issue. I have had frequent freezes just like you
describe (no keyboard, can't do anything, mouse seems to work, in some
instances can move around the screen with the mouse, but can't do
anything). In most/all cases it happened when asking the video driver
to do too much - i.e., running googleearth, which is a bit flaky on
this video hardware -- but it also happened on my laptop, which runs
prerelease Jaunty. For a while, I couldn't log into KDE with compiz
activated on the laptop, because it triggers some activity that leaves
the desktop in a state where all I can do is use the mouse to run
around on the screen, and I have to Big Red Switch (tm) the thing.

Both systems use Intel video, Q33 chipset on the desktop, running
Ubuntu 8.10; the laptop is running "Graphics Mobile Accelerator" intel
hardware, prerelease Jaunty.

--
thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk.