DVD playback on AMD 64 bit system

Robert Parker rlp1938 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 02:18:56 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 8:58 AM, David Fox <dfox94085 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 6:08 PM, Robert Parker <rlp1938 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I built a 64 bit AMD system for a friend about 18 months ago. Ended up
>> installing the then current Kubuntu after the same edition of Ubuntu
>> gave me too much grief getting his Brother printer going. But he has
>
> Why is Amarok a necessity for playing DVDs?

That is what he has been using. It's always been a pos on any system
I've tried it on.

> I use Amarok as mostly default (actually Neon version) for playing
> audio files, but I've never used it to play videos. \
>
> I normally use VLC, or mplayer, for playing DVDs or other video
> content, and I run a 64-bit system, and have done so for almost a year
> now.

VLC is what I use for video and audio but I live in the 32 bit world
so my experience is not relevant here, but yours is relevant so I will
advise the guy to go for the 64 bit version of 8.10.

Thanks for the information.

Bob Parker
--
In a world without walls who needs Windows (or Gates)? Try Linux instead!