Ubuntu 8.10 server doesn't boot into GDM / X

Daevid Vincent daevid at daevid.com
Sun Mar 8 23:15:47 UTC 2009

I installed 8.10 server, then added Gnome and all that goodness on top.

When I boot however (and I swear this WAS working a week or so ago and I just did some updates today as per the update icon arrow), XDM doesn't auto start.

I have /etc/init.d/gdm starting in 3,4,5
x11-common in 2,3,4,5
and xserver-wacom (i don't have a wacom anything) in 2,3,4,5

If I login and "startx" it works fine but bawks about user switching or something. if I manually just "/etc/init.d/gdm start" it fires up and works like a champ.

So I'm confused as to where the disconnect is and why it isn't' starting with the other services?