Crashable screen saver

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 8 18:03:57 UTC 2009

--- On Sun, 3/8/09, Peter Hillier-Brook <phb at hbsys.plus.com> wrote:

> From: Peter Hillier-Brook <phb at hbsys.plus.com>
> Subject: Crashable screen saver
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Sunday, March 8, 2009, 11:18 AM
> Could someone point me to the configuration file that points
> to the
> current screen saver, please? I made the mistake of
> browsing the
> available choices and discovered that the
> "Molecule" version crashes my
> machine. That is, it locks up everything but the mouse
> pointer so there
> is no way out short of the Big Red Button.

Have you tried "locate screensaver.conf" which shows:
/var/lib/dpkg/info/gnome-screensaver.conffiles

Cating the above gives two files in /etc that may help.
etc/xdg/menus/gnome-screensavers.menu
/etc/pam.d/gnome-screensaver

I would have tried just removing the molecule.desktop first to see if that got rid of your lockup.

> Even this doesn't help a lot as the screensaver
> preferences dialogue
> starts up with "Molecule" pre-selected, thus
> causing a recursive lock-up :-)
>
> I've temporarily got round the problem by renaming
> every file in the
> system with "Molecule" in its name, which seems a
> fairly crude over-kill
> for a simple problem.

locate molecule shows:

/usr/share/man/man6/molecule.6x.gz
/usr/share/xscreensaver/config/molecule.xml

Which may be worth looking at.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net