Reinstallation / Migration HOWTO?

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Sat Mar 7 20:18:55 UTC 2009

Amichai Rotman wrote:
>      >
>      > I'd like to re-partition the drive to make more room for my
>     $HOME, so I
>      > thought I'd give the root (/) about 20 GB and the rest for my $HOME.
>
>     Amichai, even 15 GB will more than enough. How did you get to 11 GB?!?

kdirstat will show you where your / space is wasted. I would use it,
since Dotan is correct, 20GB for / ssems indeed a bit oversized to me,
at least. Surely when you are operating servers that store data
somewhere beneath /, this is a different story.

>I thought
>     doing it
>      > this way because I felt the Kubuntu ISO is not quite stable, out
>     of the
>      > box....

sorry for my wording, but this is simply nonsense. When you want to have
Kubuntu, Kubuntu is what will give you Kubuntu.;-)

>      > Also, I'd like to hear from any of you that may have tried to
>     re-size a
>      > partition on a live system... I wouldn't do it, but maybe someone
>     tried it
>      > as part of a test on a test machine.

As Nils pointed out this is done troublefree with a Live-CD. Use gparted
and you can graphically change your disk sizes to what suits you best.
As always, when you are juggling with partitions, a good backup is
worthwhile. I never needed to use it, but its always good to have a
fallback option.

I am using RIP Linux (recovery is possible) or the sysrescue CD, but
just about any Live CD will do.

regards
Eberhard