Google Earth for Linux

singlecell singlecell at tesco.net
Sat Mar 7 13:16:26 UTC 2009

Rob wrote:
> Has anyone had any difficulty with Google Earth?  I downloaded it and it
> seemed to install fine (from the command line) and even installed it's
> own menu list/icon in the Internet section of the Applications list but
> when I click on the icon (also installed on the desktop), it "crashes".
> In other words, it appears about to activate itself but then disappears
> completely.
>
> Thanks for any ideas.
>
> Rob

I recently installed GoogleEarth on Ubuntu 8.10 after googling the
errors output when running the application from the terminal window.

Unpack and install (done from directory containing downloaded installer)
chmod +x GoogleEarthLinux.bin
sudo ./GoogleEarthLinux.bin

The problem after a successful install is that google-earth comes with
it's own, impompatable, version of the libcrypto library in the install.
The solution is to remove it and replace it with a link to the library
shipped with Ubuntu.

Fix libcrypto reference:
sudo rm /opt/google-earth/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8 libcrypto.so.0.9.8

After that it worked fine (for me).