thumbnails

Chris Mohler cr33dog at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 04:29:33 UTC 2009

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 6:11 AM, norman <norman at littletank.org> wrote:
> When I open a folder containing photographs I sometimes get a thumbnail
> of the photograph and other times a small, blue icon. Both thumbnails
> and icons may appear in the same open folder. I have tried to make sure
> that it wasn't the file size by setting, in preferences, show thumbnails
> only for files smaller than 100MB. I may get files larger than 10MB but
> not much larger.
>
> Could someone please explain why this should be, please? Google has not
> been of help.

Ah - that happens when the thumbnail command fails for some reason or
another.  I've customized mine - if you open gconf-editor, what do you
have for this key?:
/desktop/gnome/thumbnailers/image at x-xcf/command

Mine is "gimp-console -i -n -f -d -s -b '(python-fu-thumbnailer
RUN-NONINTERACTIVE "%u")'"

And - it's been awhile - but I've installed the attached plugin
(~/.gimp-2.6/plug-ins/) to help nautilus out.  IIRC, copied XCF files
do not get previews unless you tweak things a bit.  Of course, that
behavior might have been fixed recently - I have not tested it lately.

And, if you are interested in delving into these somewhat murky
waters, you need to remove ~/.thumbnails/fail/* if you want nautilus
to try make a new thumbnail - otherwise it will ignore the file and
always give it the generic "blue icon".

HTH,
Chris