Mailing List FAQ - RFC

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 14:48:39 UTC 2009

Thanks for the feedback all.

When everyone mentions the Ubuntu wiki I'm assuming you mean
http://help.ubuntu.com/community ?

That does make sense as a landing spot - and means nobody has to
maintain it either.  I'll start it there as MailingListFAQs I guess.

To those of you that don't quite get my rationale -  the point here is
one stop shopping for the questions we see often.

I think right now many of us have a list of bookmarks or vague
memories of where to go so that when somebody asks me why we bottom
post or how to play MP3s we can copy and paste them in one more time.
This just makes that list a community maintained effort rather than a
bunch of private ones.

It should be an index to the spot where the answers are with at most a
line or two of explanation.  Obviously the information is already out
there somewhere, but people aren't finding it or they wouldn't be
asking here.  It's a polite way of getting them on the road to self
enlightenment by introducing them to the wide range of info already
out there for them.

I think the wordiness of my wiki was misleading.  Let me figure out
how to start something at http://help.ubuntu.com/community and I'll
post back when I've got a start on it for additional comments.

In the meantime, if you can come up with your own thoughts on what
questions we see here all the time, please feel free to add them to
this thread.

Brian