Additional encrypted directory that requires password every time

Lou Katz ubuntu at metron.com
Thu Mar 5 22:18:11 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 07:33:58PM +0900, Dave M G wrote:
> Ubuntu,
>
> Following instructions on the web, I created the "Private" directory on
> my computer and set it to be encrypted. Seems to work fine and protects
> the contents of my directory from being read by non-logged in users.
>
> However, I have files which I would like to protect just a little
> differently. With the "Private" directory, when I am logged into my
> account, the files in that directory behave essentially like any files
> in any other directory. That directory is opened automatically when I
> log in.
>
> What I would like to have is another, separate, directory that requires
> a password to open even to me when I am logged in.
>
> Ideally, not only could I "open" the directory with a password, I could
> set it as "closed" again when I am done with the files within it.
>
> Is such a thing possible?
>
> Any advice would be much appreciated.

I also use cfs (Matt Blaze's Crypto File system) besides TrueCrypt.
CFS does not require a pre-allocated space, does not allow anyone to read it
even when 'mounted' unless you are the owner and times
out and unmounts (per user set timeout), even if you are still inside it, as long as
you do not have any files open in the cfs.

It is in my synaptic set of repositories.