Simple application to print part of an image - suggestions?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 4 02:04:40 UTC 2009

On 03/03/2009 05:36 PM, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Robert Parker wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 1:53 AM, Chris G <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
>>> A couple of times recently I have wanted to print just part of an
>>> image (.jpg) and, as far as I can see, none of the applications I seem
>>> to have installed on my xubuntu lets me do this.
>>>
>>> I just want to view the image, select a bit of it with a marquee and
>>> then print.  I guess the Gimp will do it but it's a bit OTT just for
>>> printing something.
>>

>> sudo apt-get install imagemagick
>>
>> It's a suite of image processing programs. To select part of an image
>> you probably want convert so 'man convert'
>
> Yes, in particular look at the -crop option.  Also, you can have convert
> output to postscript and pipe directly to a2ps or lpr for the actual
> print.  Just don't use good paper while you're testing. :)
>
> Matt Flaschen

Or simply print to a cups-pdf printer for testing first..

Note that one might think that imagemagick is a standalone program that
you just run, it's not. Info is here:
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ImageMagick

While imagemagik is indeed probably one of the best _command line_ set
of graphic programs out there, I doubt that it is what the OP is looking
for:

Subject:  Simple application to print part of an image - suggestions?
<quote>
I just want to view the image, select a bit of it with a marquee and
then print.  I guess the Gimp will do it but it's a bit OTT just for
printing something.
</quote>

None of which can be done with imagemagick by itself.

gthumb is probably the simpilest, gimp is just fine, and I'd even
recommend Google's Picasa 3 for linux:
http://picasa.google.com/linux/