Phone dialling application ?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 4 00:54:54 UTC 2009

On 03/03/2009 05:31 AM, John French wrote:
> Something which I miss with Linux is an application to dial my phone
> calls. (OK, it's not really an Ubuntu question, but you are the most
> helpful bunch of guys I know.)
>
> With my old Windows system, I had Lotus Organizer, and used it as an
> address book. If I clicked on an entry, one more click would dial that
> phone number, using the old hardware modem. This had the advantage of
> dialling any length of number correctly - which I can't guarantee to
> do!  I have tried to run Organizer under Wine without success.   (Maybe
> a newer version would work.) Is there a Linux app which can do this, or
> something similar ?
>
> John

I used to use ACT! in the same manner years ago. IIRC all that program
did was go out and use the built-in Win dialer for the phone calls, and
you something like WinFax if you had it installed for fax.

The first thing that I would do/recommend is to ensure that you can
actually get your modem to break dialtone and dial using one of the repo
supplied dialer packages.
  If you have a WinModem (as nearly every machine on the planet used to
have & still does have one if you have a system/laptop modem) you'll
need to get that working first. That in itself can be as painful as
building windmill in the in the Mariana Trench... some seem to be
supported and work fine, others won't work no matter what magic you
build, compile, tweak, or install.

Once you've verified that you have a working modem, then you can
possibly experiment with Gnome-ppp or similar.

BTW: there is a 'Wishlist' issue open to do just this with Evolution:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution/+bug/246085/
[Wishlist: Evolution dialer/logger]
You might want to join in and add a vote for that.

These links might be of interest:
<http://loll.sourceforge.net/linux/links/Software_Applications/Business_-_Enterprise/index.html>
Note: some are outdated; for example OBM (which is in the repositories)
is actually now http://obm.org/ (pretty cool CRM btw).

Also check:
http://loll.sourceforge.net/linux/links/Software_Applications/index.html

<http://loll.sourceforge.net/linux/links/Software_Applications/PIMs_(Personal_Information_Managers)/index.html>

and of course check in Synaptics by searching on 'dialer', 'CRM' etc.