Intrepid Ibex Installation

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 4 00:22:11 UTC 2009

On 03/03/2009 09:37 AM, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
> This is just a general note to see if others have encountered similar
> problems to myself with an Intrepid installation.
>
> On 3 different machines, 2 Intel and 1 AMD, I have been unable to
> successfully sum-check CDs created from the downloaded ISO and also an
> officially supplied CD from Canonical (both of them the 32 bit, i86
> variant).

When you state that you are 'not able to successfuly sum -check (I
assume you mean md5sum here) CDs', are you referring to the md5sum of
the ISO file, or the CD itself? Do the ISO file(s) match the listed
md5sums for the download?

http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/8.10/MD5SUMS

Note that the md5sum of the burned CD will not match those of the ISO.

The symptoms involve a variable number - typically 7 - of disc
> errors during the boot option of checking the CD for errors. Similar
> errors are also reported if an installation is attempted.
>
> Needless to say all the CDs, both my own and Canonical's, verify
> successfully against the ISO when checked with ImgBurn and Nero,
> suggesting that the problem lies within the drivers used at start-up.

So, the ISO md5sums do match. That only indicates that the ISO file is
good. The issue seems to be that the burn is not correct as when you run
the 'Check CD' it verifies the files on the CD against the md5sum.txt
file on the CD. When you:

> I get to the splash screen (past the language check where I successfully
> choose English) and then select the "Check CD for defects". That
> ultimately fails with "Check finished: errors found in 7 files!". The
> errors seem to all fall into the class "[  nn.mmmmmm] end_request: I/O
> error, dev sr0, sector xxxx

you can check the error files md5sum against that md5sum.txt to see if
they are actually bad on the CD, or if a R/W I/O error is causing the
problem.