after defining new group, lost administration privileges and /etc/group has been changed

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 3 23:03:14 UTC 2009

--- On Tue, 3/3/09, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:

> From: Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net>
> Subject: Re: after defining new group, lost administration privileges and  /etc/group has been changed
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Tuesday, March 3, 2009, 12:52 AM
> Alan E. Davis wrote:
> > I defined a new group using the System ->
> Administration -> Users and
> > Groups facility.  I noticed that, unlike my other
> system, no default
> > group number was suggested.  So I defined the  new
> group with group
> > id number 1111, which I reasons is high enough to not
> run afould of
> > anything.
>
> > I had to add an admin group, but that didn't help,
> even adding my
> > user name as a member.  I altered the sudoers file.
>
> In your file there is an admin group but the GID is 1004
> while it should
> be 111. I suppose it will only work as the real admin group
> if you
> assign it the correct GID because some/most/all (?)
> programs use the
> GID instead of the group name.

FWIW, In my intrepid 64 bit installation my
/etc/group admin entry shows GID of 119 not 111.  Adm has a GID of 4.  I wouldn't expect these GIDs to change between versions BIDK.  If the OP is interested send me an email off-list and I'll be glad to send you my /etc/group and /etc/group~ file so that you may try to correct your problem without reinstalling.  My system is also working fine.  HTH.  I also have an Hardy installation in case the OP is not using Intrepid.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net