Intrepid Ibex Installation

Craig Huffstetler craig.huffstetler at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 18:18:51 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 12:37 PM, Peter Hillier-Brook <phb at hbsys.plus.com>wrote:

> Anyone else encountered this issue? Anyone any thoughts?
>
> Peter HB

There have been issues reported like this in nature. Usually, as you point
out, these occurrences are isolated on boxes with certain unsupported
devices/drivers at boot time. It happens sometimes with new kernels because
a device may have become unstable and it can cause kernel issues. Or you
simply need to tell the kernel to load a driver.

For example: Did previous versions of Ubuntu work fine for you (Hardy,
possibily even an alpha or beta of Intrepid)? It's only the 32-bit Intrepid
final that is failing to boot, which leads me to believe it's something to
do with the final kernel included and your hardware. I just wanted to test
it against another kernel at boot time.

Questions:
1. How far are you getting into your boot-up? Do you get the splash screen,
for example (Install Ubuntu/Try Ubuntu Live!).
2. Are you receiving any errors when you boot-up for installation on the
failed attempts? This seems to be what you are pointing to. If so, what are
they?
3. Is it the same error every time?
4. The only thing that made the final attempt successful for installation
was simply that it was the 64 bit variant?

Thanks,

Craig