USB mounting automatically : users option?

Alan E. Davis lngndvs at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 13:26:01 UTC 2009

Thank you.

Is it possible to ensure that the files on the device will be readable and
writable by the user who mounted the USB drive?

I have done the following, and it may be working:

  1. mkdir /media/BLUE
  2. labelled the USB drive "BLUE"
  3. chmod 777 /media/BLUE
  4. in fstab:
        ####USB BLUE
        LABEL=BLUE /media/BLUE ext2 defaults,users,rw,auto 0 0

So far so good.  I am not sure this is doing what I want, however, as I
still see the owner of some files as "1000".

Thank you again,

Alan

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 10:19 PM, Thorny <thorntreehome at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 21:30:35 +1000, Alan E. Davis wrote:
>
> [...]
> >
> > Is this doable?
> >

> Yes, you may use labels or uuid in your fstab to have your partitions
> mounted on the mount points you specify or use udev rules to get the same
> device node each time.

Alan Davis

"An inviscid theory of flow renders the screw useless, but the need for one
non-existent."                     ---Lord Raleigh (John William Strutt), or
else his son, who was also a scientist.

It is undesirable to believe a proposition when
there is no ground whatsoever for supposing it is true.
    ---- Bertrand Russell