PC-name in the network

Paige Thompson erratic at devel.ws
Tue Mar 3 04:23:34 UTC 2009

i think what you want to do is have the dhcp client specify a hostname when
attempting to get a lease. of course this would imply that you want to use
dhcp which if thats not the case then also specify a static dhcp lease given
the machines mac address in which case-- you can rest assured that your
router knows its you unless someone is spoofing your client's hardware mac
address on your private network and steals your IP though of course your
router would know you by a somewhat non-human readable name unless of course
specifying a hostname in your dhcp client is also accounted for, too.

I believe specifying a hostname in the dhcp client configuration can be
accomplished in ubuntu/gnome's network configuration manager.

-Adele
(sent from my gphone!)