cable broadband and dialup modem

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Tue Mar 3 04:11:26 UTC 2009

Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, steve wrote:
>

>> Ray Parrish wrote:

> browsing

>>> Just curious here...Why? That will make your mail and news pretty slow.
>>> I still have the email address I used when I was on dial-up, as I pay
>>> the old isp a small fee for continuing to use it, but I download it
>>> through my new DSL connection, which is much faster.
>>>
>>> Later, Ray Parrish
>>>

>> Yeah, curious here as well, why. The only reason I can think of is you
>> have a cap on broadband and no cap on dial up?
>>
>> I use gnome ppp for my gprs card (technically dial up as far the os is
>> concerned), and wireless or ethernet at home. have no problem switching
>> between the two.
>>

> No caps that I'm aware of. It's just that Cox has given me nothing but
> aggrevation and my old ISP (sonic.net in California) was always on the
> ball with tech support that listened to the diagnostics you've run and
> proceeded from there. No "lets check your settings" after being
> informed  that I haven't changed them. I've been having trouble posting
> to moderated news groups thru Cox. Their tier 1 guy's response was "what's
> a news group?"
>
> The upshot is that I want as little to do with Cox as possible.

Ahhh, yes, newsgroups... Regrettably since I've switched over from dial
up, I no longer have a news server included with my new DSL account, and
when I inquired about them, I got the same response of "What's that?"
Pretty sad answer for an isp.

My old dial up account's ownership has changed to the local power
company, and they too seem to be ignorant of what a news server is, as I
have emailed them several times to see if they would provide me with
access for an additional fee, and they never answer.

So, I'm stuck with the Microsoft news server, and other public servers
like the Mozilla server, but none with access to the main newsgroups.
What a drag!

Later, Ray Parrish

--
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com