after defining new group, lost administration privileges and /etc/group has been changed

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 03:12:39 UTC 2009

Alan E. Davis wrote:
> I should mention that I did define a couple of groups that are found in the
> /etc/group file I posted earlier, including admin and sudo.
>
> Alan
>
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Alan E. Davis <lngndvs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Today I have been experimenting with permissions and groups between two
>> systems to make it easier to share files on a USB drive between the two
>> systems.
>>
>> I defined a new group using the System -> Administration -> Users and
>> Groups facility.  I noticed that, unlike my other system, no default group
>> number was suggested.  So I defined the  new group with group id number
>> 1111, which I reasons is high enough to not run afould of anything.
>>
>> I logged out and back in.
>>
>> When I click on System -> Administration -> Users and Groups, I am not
>> longer allowed to access the tool.  The error message says I do nave
>> permission to do so.  (I no longer remember the error message, because I
>> have altered the permissions and groups resulting in a different message now
>> being shown: "The configuration could not be loaded.  You are not allowed to
>> access the system configuration."
>>
>> I had to add an admin group, but that didn't help, even adding my user name
>> as a member.  I altered the sudoers file.

In what exact way?

>> The groups in /etc/group do not have any other users assigned to any groups
>> than those I assigned to the new group (1111) I made.  Admin is no longer a
>> group!

This cannot be good!

I am not sure what you really mean by "defining a group". 'admin'
already exists. Did you redefine it to something else? I am not sure how
this is possible though .... but, again, I am not sure what you really
mean here.

In any case, what one does is create new groups if needed. These are
created by giving the new groups unique names and not usually by numbers
as you attempted to do. The group numbers (goupr IDs) are given by the
system automatically.

First, what is the output of the following command (while you are logged
in):
$> groups

Next, list the contents of /etc/groups file here (you have attached some
bin file in your previous email, I was expecting a text file). And
somebody can compare that listing with his own groups file and see what
is the problem with admin and adm groups (I think admin is the main
administration group, not sure about adm but the administrator is
usually a member of that group).

Good luck.

ever having been read.