Troubleshooting USB

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Tue Mar 3 00:39:51 UTC 2009

I installed Ubuntu on an old Dell OptiPlex 170L I had around.  On this
machine I'm having some trouble mounting a USB drive with syslog
saying:

    usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning

and then nothing after that.

Also, a USB HP photosmart 7350 printer was correctly detected but
printing doesn't work -- trying to print causes the printer to eject
multiple pages and print junk on the page.

Of course, on my main machine (a newer Dell) everything works
perfectly.  The USB drive mounts w/o a problem and the printer prints
great.

Both have 8.10 and are up-to-date.  Same printer driver is selected on
both machines.

So, I'm now suspecting a hardware USB problem.  Is there anything I
can do to test the USB sub-system on a machine?

Any ideas what else to try?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org