2.6.26 kernel in hardy?

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Mon Mar 2 22:35:51 UTC 2009

H.S. wrote:
>>> Are there by any chance other repos, perhaps Ubuntu community repos
>>> (non-Canonical repos), which have such packages available for Ubuntu?
>> Intrepid Alpha 4 (http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/intrepid/alpha4) was the
>> last testing release to use an 2.6.26 kernel.
>>
>> But you don't seem to understand the significance of kernel updates.  I
>
> I do (albeit from a kernel user's point of view, not dev's).
>

>> can almost guarantee reverting to that kernel will break your system,
>> and trying to fix it while retaining 2.6.26 will cause you a lot of pain.
>
> That is simply over-exaggeration. One can alway install a new kernel,
> see if the system works as expected, if not then one can always just
> reboot in the older kernel.

Did you read what I said, /trying to fix it while retaining 2.6.26/.  As
I said, if you give up on 2.6.26 you will not have such pain.

> This looks like a no brainer ... what am I
> missing.
>
> In other words, it is not uncommon for a kernel upgrade to break a
> particular hardware in a system. The solution is invariably to revert to
> an older one.

No, it's not.  That's a temporary, often flawed, work-around.  The
solution is to fix the new kernel.  The kernel devs have a policy of
never "giving up" on hardware people are still using.

> But it did have some webcams working which broke in 27.
> Perfect case to stay with 26 in this case I would suppose.

The kernel devs did not say, "Well, let's make a single change to the
kernel that will break wireless and enable webcams" as you seem to
think.  There are /many/ differences between the two kernels.

Matt Flaschen