2.6.26 kernel in hardy?

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 21:24:10 UTC 2009

Thomas Kaiser wrote:

> Gspca got re-written for v4l2, because of this, gspcaV1 is not shipped
> anymore with Ubuntu and therefore all the fancy video processing was
> dropped from kernel space. Thus, a lot of webcam stopped working.
>
> While moving from gspca "out of kernel" to gspca "in Kernel" a new user
> space library was introduced to do the "fancy video processing".

Very interesting piece of info I wasn't aware of before. Thanks for
mentioning this. Any URLs where this explains a bit more about what is
going on regarding this video processing in newer kernels and what the
advantages of these new approach?

> Not all webcam applications are ready now to use this new library. But
> they will in the future, we hope ;-)
>
> Anyway, you can still compile gspcaV1 ("out of Kernel") driver with your
> current Kernel and you get all webcams back with the V4l1 interface.

How does the system differenctiate between the two modules? Are they
named differently?

Regards.

ever having been read.