ubuntu on firewalls

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Mon Mar 2 19:41:11 UTC 2009

Karl Auer wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 12:59 -0500, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>> Karl Auer wrote:
>> > Firewall Builder 3 is the only one that I know for a fact fully
>> > supports ip6tables, because I use it! It is in the repos, but the
>> > version in the repos does not (or does not properly) support IPv6.
>>
>> Do you have a bug report for this?
>
> No - because it's not really a bug. It's just that the repos have older
> versions. Most stuff in the repos is months if not years behind the
> current versions; for 99% of stuff, that's no problem. For firewalls,
> firewall managers and security software in general it's generally best
> to get the latest stuff, and that probably isn't in the repos...

I have to quibble.  Yes, Ubuntu (and all Debian-based distros - in fact
probably _all_ distros) is a bit behind the leading edge.  And yes, you
want your security software to have all the latest vulnerabilities fixed.

But the two aren't incompatible, and when a security advisory is issued, the
necessary patches are generally made to the _old_ software.
--
derek