ubuntu on firewalls

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Mon Mar 2 17:25:46 UTC 2009

Luca Ferrari wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to know if there is any specific "fork" of ubuntu for firewalls and
> if the server edition has enough capabilities to play as firewall, and/or
> which addons you believe are a must for such machine.

Certainly, you can use Ubuntu Server as a firewall.  iptables is
installed in all Ubuntu versions
(https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IptablesHowTo), though it will not do
 anything by default.  There are various ways to configure it, some of
which require installing software, but you shouldn't need anything
outside the repos to setup even a fairly complex firewall.

Matt Flaschen