2.6.26 kernel in hardy?

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 15:51:05 UTC 2009

Nils Kassube wrote:
> H.S. wrote:
>> The difference, or the reason for my OP here, is that even Intrepid
>> doesn't seem to have 2.6.26, only 2.6.27. If it did, it wouldn't have
>> been a problem.
>
> Usually there is only one kernel version available for individual Ubuntu
> versions. It is the kernel version which was distributed with the
> original release. There will be bug fixes but not a new kernel version.
> The kernel distributed with 8.04 was 2.6.24-15 (IIRC) and now we have
> 2.6.24-23 but don't expect to find 2.6.25 or even higher versions for

Okay. I understand this in Hardy, which is LTS. But it looks like
Intrepid had only 2.6.27 kernel. Did Ubuntu skip 2.6.26 altogether?

I was hoping that Intrepid had 2.6.26 in its repos.

> 8.04 in any supported repository. The reason is stability - some
> hardware may no longer work with a newer kernel version and that would
> be very bad for any released distribution.

This appears to be already the case in Intrepid: 2.6.27 broke some
webcam support (e.g. vx-1000), which were working fine until 2.6.26. If
Intrepid had 2.6.26 kernel as well in its repos, then the users could
have easily reverted to that kernel.

Regards.

ever having been read.